5 Reasons Every Diver Should Purchase their own SCUBA gear
Buying your own SCUBA equipment is an investment that pays for itself in many ways.
Here are 5 benefits and reasons why you should buy your own equipment.
1. The #1 reason that all divers should have their own personal gear is familiarity. Purchasing your own gear, training with it from the start, and using it regularly can significantly reduce your risk of decompression sickness. In the August 2000 issue of Dive training magazine, Joel Dovenberger, VP of medical services for DAN, stated that the single fastest growing factor for decompression sickness in divers is the lack of familiarity with their equipment.
2. Another important reason is the equipment will fit you properly. Every piece of dive equipment comes in a variety of sizes. This is especially true for wet suits, BCDs and mouthpieces. An accurate size will make the diving experience more relaxed and comfortable. Rental equipment may not fit 100% correctly (especially for women) and can cause trouble with buoyancy and be uncomfortable.For example, the Zeagle Zena buoyancy compensator was created By Women, For Women. It is the best fitting BCD for women. These are rarely found in rental equipment options. Most rental options are going to be unisex BCDs that do not fit women as well.
3. Long term cost benefits. Although the price tag of a new full setup can be daunting for some, over time it pays for itself. Even if you only go on a 7 day trip once a year to dive that can add up to hundreds of dollars in rental gear. At Atlantic Pro Divers, we have many packages to choose from. If you don't have the money upfront we can recommend some items to start your dive equipment collection. A BCD is a good place to start as you can really get your buoyancy down better with one that fits you correctly and that you have trained in.
4. Most dive equipment must be serviced annually by an authorized service center. Although many dive shops are credible and make sure their rental equipment has been serviced, some may fall through the cracks. On vacation, the last thing you want is to have malfunctioning equipment. Having your own equipment, you personally know when your gear has been serviced and also how it has been taken care of before vacation.
5. Clean gear! The ongoing dive joke is "There are 2 types of divers: The ones that pee in their wet suit and the ones that lie about it" Mouthpieces and Wet suits can be pretty unsanitary when not cleaned properly. Having your own gear means that no one else uses it, you know where it has been, and how it has been cleaned.
Stop by the shop to create a custom package fitted just for you! At Atlantic Pro Divers we will give you the best price on the best SCUBA equipment. Guaranteed.
Written by: Bailey Rowland
Atlantic Pro Diver's General Manager and PADI Open Water Instructor